Your dog will love this trick.
- Get your buddy to “drop” and lie down on its side.
- Hold the treat near the side of its mouth.
- As your dog turns its head towards it, move the treat further away from your dog so that it will complete a rollover on its back.
- When your dog completes a roll, praise, and reward with the treat.
What could be cuter than a dog sitting on its hind legs with the front paws up?
- Command your dog in the stay or sit position.
- Hold the treat just above its nose so that it has to look up to the treat.
- As your dog reaches with its mouth, raise the treat higher until your dog is sitting on its hind legs with its front paws off the ground.
- Reinforce this action by saying the command “beg.” Quickly reward your dog with the treat.
- Repeat until your dog masters the trick.
Note: If your pooch jumps before begging, pull the treat away and say “no.” Reset with stay or sit. Try again.
This impressive trick involves your four-legged friend weaving in and out of your legs as you walk. It may take some time to learn so be patient.
- Start with your buddy sitting or standing on your left side.
- With your right foot, take a step forward. Hold the treat behind your right leg and encourage your pooch to move between your legs. Praise it and reward it with the treat.
- Once your buddy gets comfortable walking between your legs in one direction, say the command “wacky walk.” as your dog does.
- As your pooch moves between your legs, offer another treat to make it walk in front of your body.
- With your left foot, step in an exaggerated walk and say “wacky walk.”
- Encourage your dog to walk between your legs the other way.
- Continue to reward with a treat until your dog learns the “wacky walk.”
Cross the Road
Dogs lack common sense when it comes to crossing a road. Here’s a trick that will teach your dog how to cross the road safely.
- Put your dog on the leash. Walk it to the edge of the footpath, facing the traffic.
- If your dog barks at cars or pulls away, tug it back and reprimand it.
- Before you cross the road, command it to “sit.”
- Pause until the road is clear.
- Say the command “walk” and cross the road.
- If your dog crosses the road ahead of you, pull it back to your side saying “heel.”
- When your dog crosses the road correctly, praise and reward it with a treat.
Dogs just love to jump. It’s in their nature. Harness that love for jumping into a trick.
- Put your dog on a collar and leash.
- Find a log or a low wall for your pooch to jump over.
- Command it to sit.
- Step over to the other side and say “over”.
- Gently tug on the leash.
- Reward your dog when it gets over the obstacle.
- Repeat until your dog learns the trick with a command only and without you to lead.
- Praise and reward as your dog master the trick.